Listen to page audio (2min.)
Golden Visa Scheme in Spain
The golden visa scheme in Spain has proven to be an excellent way of attracting non-EU buyers and investors to the country.
Buying a property that complies with the golden visa rules is one of the primary methods of gaining one of these visas, although there are other approaches. These include buying government bonds or creating jobs through a business investment. This way, investors and their families can qualify for longer stays and/or a permanent residence permit in Spain.
- Cost of the Golden Visa Scheme in Spain Residency Programme 500,000€
- Qualifying investments (real estate, government bonds or company shares)
- Spanish Citizenship after 10 years of living in Spain (if from non-Spanish speaking countries), or 3 years for those from Spanish speaking countries. (No PR status required)
- No requirement to live in Spain after getting residency, although you must visit Spain for few days every year
- Free movement in Schengen states with the residence permit (“PERMISO DE RESIDENCIA”) issued by Spain.
The Golden Visa Scheme in Spain, Europe & The Schengen Area
The majority of countries offering the golden visa in Europe are in the Schengen area. The golden visa issued by Schengen states offer free movement and visa-free travel in all 26 Schengen countries and some that are not in the zone, including Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Romania and Serbia.
It is important to remember that a golden visa only offers residency; it does not entitle the holder to citizenship. To become an EU citizen, you must have lived for at least five years in the country (this may vary between EU countries) pay tax in that country, speak the local language in some cases and have an understanding of local culture before citizenship can be granted.
NB: Italy, France, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom do not accept property purchases for their Golden Visa Schemes. However, countries such as Ireland, Montenegro, Andorra, Monaco, Bulgaria and Latvia do accept real estate investment for golden visa schemes.
- Spain - The Spanish economy: Should you buy property in Spain? Spain is certainly on the property buyers radar, especially in 2018
- Find property in Spain - iFindSpain is a property portal with a global audience and a fast growing network of real estate agents specialising in Spanish properties for sale
- Guide to buying a property in Spain - A guide to buying property in Spain including the Spanish economy, culture, living in Spain, adapting to Spanish life, location & price
- Search for property in Spain - What’s the best way to search for a property for sale in Spain on iFindSpain including types of property and best locations to buy property in Spain
- Articles & Advice - Current news and articles about Spain
- Property Taxes in Spain - A guide to property taxes in Spain including tax on new build properties
- Mortgages in Spain - A guide to property mortgages in Spain including information on mortgages for non-residents, interest rates, mortgage costs, new legislation and using a broker
- Currency Exchange when buying property in Spain - Why you should use a currency exchange service when buying a property in Spain?